Skip to main content

Piggies, Planting and Equipment! Third and Last post from leave!

This will be the wrap up post from my leave I think We did not get much more done with the piggies this trip, they did not go through their area as I thought they would so we are holding off sending them to a new paddock until next trip in July.  They are growing fast and have even the more skittish of them (Chew Bacon) will now come up for a back scratch.  Here is an updated picture, Ham Solo is the one with the large white strip on his front and Chew Bacon (Chewie) is the one mostly brown.


So in addiation to the animal front we also did a lot on the equipment front, on a cold rainy day we went to an Auction for a hobby farmer who was moving back to town due to health reasons.  While there we bought a 130-gallon water tank on a trailer with a PTO powered pump that can be pulled behind a tractor, we also picked up what is probably a 5 foot deck mover also to be pulled behind a tractor, I also picked up a nice 12 gauge Iver Johnson special trap shotgun (I did not expect to be the only bidder!!) along with a couple other odds and ends.  So, a water tank, and a tractor deck mower, yep you guessed it next was a tracker that my brother in law Charlie and Sister in law Roxanne found for me.  It is an older model John Deere 3130 pushing somewhere between 80 and 90 Horsepower, it came with a front-end loader which we needed as well as a snow blower, also needed.  She is a little rough in spots but she will get the job done!
The new Tractor, that is Harry fixing the tire on the new water tank :)

Of course, now that we have a tractor and a mower it was time to try it out on the two pastures and old corral that was overgrown with weeds.  So yea, it works 😊

Now we did get lucky and save a lot of time, before we bought the property we had it surveyed, as it turns out there was about 15 or so feet on the south of the property and 30-35 feet west of the property that the neighbor had been farming for years due to some confusion on the property line.  On the flip side my fence line over lapped his on the north side.  During my 3-4 days there on leave before initially going to DC I saw him out there breaking ground and was able to flag him down.  Great guy, seems like the guy who surrounds my property farms organic, meaning nothing to kill off my bees, SCORE!!!  

We agreed that the surveyed lines were correct, but for now we would not worry about the north and south lines and he could continue to farm the south side and I would farm the 30-35 X 600 that was on the west side, that he had already broken up.  The fact that I did not have to break new ground was huge for us! At the same time because he is farming organic and does not use weed killer it makes I (meaning Lexi this summer) have to work to keep our part weed free so it does not spread to his, So far We have about 15 rows (33 feet each) of feeder beats, 15 rows of mammoth sunflowers and about 19 rows of field pumpkins planted back there.  The pumpkins sound like they are a lot more than they are, they are only about 10-12 plants a row since we pot planted this first, where the beets and Sunflowers are mostly seed planted, by hand……  Needless to say, a planter is now on next year’s list.  It also caused us to add a rototiller to his years purchases to keep them cultivated between rows. We also added a couple of off and ends rows, onions, radishes, normal beets and strawberries, this is in addition to what Terri has planted in the front.  Depending on the excess we may decide to over winter a couple pigs as well, but we will see.

With the last cold snaps, we received in Mn it looks like we may have lost a couple of the apple trees, we got those last frosts just as they were starting to leaf out and they have not recovered yet.  We did get a little tree planting done, we replaced two sapalta cherry plum trees that did not take last year, we also planted four unity sugar maples, about 7-8 foot trees, those replaced the sapling of the same variety that did not make it from last year.  One lesson learned from last year is about mulching, the trees that did the best from last year were those most heavily mulched (meaning a wide area of 2-3 inches of mulch).  Most of the saplings that did not make it were not as heavily mulches as those that did so for those planting trees do not be skimpy on the mulch! Don’t make your newly planted trees compete for food!

Finally, the last big project to get worked on was the roofing of the Quonset (in this case a lowered barn).  No this was not a challenge I was willing to undertake but Chris Bachmeier from Fertile Building center did us right on it.  We still have an overhead door to put in but that should come in within 2 weeks and Chris will be back to finish that up.  I will post pics of it when it is done!

There is so much more to cover, but one last part I would be remiss if I did not include it, during this whole process and even more so this last two weeks we had so much help from Family, seems like every member of the weber clan came out to help at some point over this two weeks, including by giving me break one morning to go fishing, check out the pike below 😊 .  Think that is enough for now, thanks all for reading look forward to the comments!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chickens and Chicken Coop, May Leave post 2

OK at this point we needed to switch gears, so far we had lost 3 of our 50 chickens from what I understand that is not a terrible amount considering they were mail order, what we quickly evident is that the small starter brooder we made was not going to last long they were growing so fast, as we did not have coop yet and meant another intermediate brooder.  Part of the scrap wood that was left with the house when we bought it was 2 boards about 10 feet long and roughly 18 inches or so high.  The chicks very much seems to like all the extra space, and they seemed to thank us by increasing their rate of growth!  It was very quickly evident that we would need to come up with a normal coop very quickly. Out intermediate brooder when we first moved them! about 23 March The previous owners did have a small coup but it would not fit our needs at all, they only had a couple chickens (4-5) compared to our 50 (well 47 now).  Their coup also had an overabundance of nesting boxes but no r

April is Gonna Suck, Embrace the Suck!!

Well this week’s blog is more a personal update then the last few have been.  It is about 7 weeks until I start my terminal leave from the Army, I will leave the Army for home for the last time on Good Friday and get home right before Easter.  The timing is not lost on me that my next chapter will start in full on Easter.  We started doing our taxes today and part of that was figuring out how much we have already put into the farm, not including property or the truck we are over $35K in and that does not even count most of the livestock which we will not have  or purchase until this year.  That is buying mostly second-hand equipment folks and I still have some major pieces to buy, farming ain’t cheap. That being said, I am still confident this was the right move.  I ran into one of my former NCOs from when I was a detachment Sgt in Korea for lunch this week, he was one of three buck Sergeants I had, who basically made my job easy there (except they could not help me for the 2 AM p

Cattle

I have to admit this is the part of Homesteading I am most looking forward to but also the part that has me the most nervous.  I have wanted to do something with raising cattle since probably about 2000.  At that time we were in Texas and various car salesmen I worked with had acreage and a few head so it was enough to pique my interest.  Of course in Texas you did not have to worry about sub-0 temperatures when you thought about what kind of cattle to raise so when trying to put my plan together for Minnesota, well I did not have a lot of people I could turn to for advice so it has been a lot of research!  On of the reasons I want to raise cattle is to put it bluntly, I like beef, but I do not like paying almost $5 a pound for hamburger, especially when I am not even sure what I am getting anymore! From all the research I have done I have pretty much decided to primarily raise Galloway cattle.  Galloway's are a heritage breed originally from Scotland .  I decided on this breed f