Skip to main content

Lessons Learned -Chicken Processing and First year Crops

Well just got back from a week up at the farm and have to say, it is never enough time to do what I hope to, then again with homesteading, I think that will be a constant issue, even when I am there full time.  One of the things on the to do list, that pretty much had to happen this trip was to process (butcher) some of the excess male chickens.  We currently had more males then females and that is not a good thing once they start breeding in ernest.  Roosters have spurs, (kind of like a spike on the back of their feet), that tend to tear up the sides of the hens when there is excessive mating so to prevent the hens from getting worn out the general ratio is 4-5 hens per rooster, currently we have more than a 1 to 1 ratio, meaning about 20 cockerels/roosters have to go!  We originally planned to do them all this trip, but after processing the first one, we decided to only do 7 this trip then 7 more during my trip in early Nov to see the difference between the sizes of the processed birds at 17 weeks compared to 24 weeks.  It really is amazing to see the difference in the size of the birds with and without feathers!  While I am not going to go into a whole lot of detail in how to process a bird, I will do the cliff notes version for those who are unfamiliar and well as address what we would do different next time.

We were expecting a little rain the day of processing so we decided to do it inside of the garage, this would probably be the first thing I would do different, stick to outside of you can (I am still not sure how I am going to get blood off the ceiling).  Because we free range our birds, and I did not really want them to see what we were doing we decided to start before the sun comes up, it is also makes it easier to catch them when they are still in the coup.  It also ensures that you have a cleaner digestive system since they did not eat in the morning.  Once we captured the bird, we would carry then upside down by the feet to the garage, this calms then as the blood rushes to their heads.  One there we hung them by their feet over some old milk pails and used a sharp knife to slice their jugular on the left side of the neck, when done right, the birds do not even realize there is an issue until they pass out.  The key here is a very sharp knife and a decent amount of pressure, realize the feathers are pretty tough, the first bird took too long in my opinion because I was too gentle.  The other thing to realize is there will be flapping, as the bird dies (that is how I got blood on the ceiling!).  There is another area where I will do something different next time.  Another way to do this is rather then hanging the bird by the feet is to take an old traffic cone and snip off part of the trip enough to fit the head of the bird into it, then you place the bird head first into the cone which is hung upside down, leaving the head sticking out at the bottom, this prevents the bird from making excessive movements as it passes. 

We let the blood drain for about 20-30 minutes as we waited for a large pot of hot water to reach 135 degrees, while you do need to wait for them to drain, I would suggest getting the water up to temperature before you start the processes. We had an issue with our flame going on only to realize our lighter was also out of fuel and this delayed our process.  One the chicken is drained and your water is up to temperature we would dip the chicken into the pot, swishing it around to get water in between the feathers, we did this for about 30 seconds and then pulled the bird out and tried to pull some of the longer wing feathers, if the feathers came out easily then it was ready for the next step, if not they went back into the pot for another 10-15 seconds, then repeated until the feathers came out easy.  At this point they went back up to hang by the feet for to remove the feathers.  We had gloves with a rubber and small bumps on the finger and hand portion, this made the next step easier and you basically petted the smaller feathers off after pulling the larger ones off.  This is probably the longest step. It probably took us about 10 minutes for the first bird but it got quicker as things progressed. Once the majority of feathers were off we took a small propane torch to the birds in a quick motion in order to burn off any remaining pin feathers.

At this point the birds came to the processing table and I removed the heads and feet, I will use the necks for chicken stock so I cut the heads of as close to the head as possible, for the feet, it is just a matter of bending the knee and cutting at that joint, once this is done, I then cut the neck off as close to the shoulders as possible and put it aside and gut the bird, I will not go into a lot more details here, if anyone wants more details let me know.  After the birds are gutted you need to let then soak in an ice bath for a few hours (we did 3-4) in order to get them to go into rigor and for them to relax, if not you will likely get-tough meat, after the bath it is just a matter of cutting them out as you want them, we ended up putting two of them whole right onto the smoker, they came out wonderful!  As this was our first time processing chickens it took up most of the morning, I expect next time to be much quicker as we got quicker with each bird we did.

So lessons learned for chicken processing:

1.       Very sharp knives make the job much easier
2.       Ensure everything is ready before you get started
3.       If you can get the cones, use them.  It is  easier on the processer if you do not have to see them flapping around and prevents blood from being thrown all over.

This trip I also took the bee hive apart to do a quick inspection and see where they were on honey stores to determine if I could harvest any this year.  It is amazing how heavy a box gets when it is full of honey!  The bees had pretty much filled two boxes full and had started on comb in the third box.  I doubt they would have had time to fill that third box before the cold set in and due to our harsh winters I wanted to leave them two full boxes so, it means no honey this year.  I did however get to taste just a little that had dripped out when I pulled the box and I must admit I cannot wait until next year to get more!  As we did not pull a box this year, it means they will not have to rebuild their comb next year so I will probably be able to pull a box for harvest after then spring nectar flow, so probably end of May will be the first harvest!

This is the bottom of the top box, pretty full!

Top of the second box, you can see the honey on the broken comb


We also got to harvest our first batch of pumpkins, and while we have not tasted them yet, the chickens, pigs and even the dogs seem to all enjoy them.  From the looks of it now, the pumpkins will probably be our one crop out of three that came out well.  The weed issue we had with the pig weed really stunted the growth of the fodder beets (will still have a harvest but it will be light).  I did pull one larger beet, the chickens finished it off in no time and the pigs really liked the leaves portion!  The sunflowers had a couple issues, due to the location of the land we had prepped they did not get the morning sun, and that slowed them down quite a bit considering the variety I choose probably needs more sun days then most.   Also, we planted them on ground that had sunflowers last year, and it looks like we may have picked up some bacteria which builds up after a while if you do not have longer crop rotations, that caused some of the flowers to more or less implode on themselves rather than bloom.  Nothing that cannot be fixed next year with possibly a different variety and planting in a fresh area.  All in all I was pretty satisfied in that we had a very dry year for Mn, yet we still were able to produce and learn from it, so this year’s goals have been met (helps that that year we did not have to count on it to feed animals through the winter this first year).  The apple trees also started producing this year! Well the Red Baron and the Red Duchess trees all produced this year, many of the others bloomed but the fruit did not fully set.  The apples while small were very good!


First batch of pumpkins!


So primary lessons learned so far:

1    1. Weed control is very important for crop development, if you are like us going more organic, means you need to use mechanical methods or biological (Ducks and geese).
2    2. With a short growing season, every bit of sunlight is important, put the right crops in the right areas and chose the right crops for your growing conditions!
3    3. In norther climates get started indoors if possible, give your plants a head start (what we did with the pumpkins) if you can.  This means for us a hoop house or green house is on the wish list.


On this trip we also got a new area for the pigs fenced off, it took them a little while to actually move into the area, but once they got there they seemed to enjoy the fresh green grass.  They do have a date with the processor next month so hopefully they enjoy this time.   The other major task I got started on this trip was clearing the old fence line on the homestead property, in many areas, the weeds and the tree line had engulfed the fence!  I did not get nearly as much done as I would have liked but did get most of the northern half of the property done, will try to get to actually fixing fence the next trip back in November so that we have at least one 3 acre pasture ready in the spring.  There was also a lot of little things for the farm we got done this trip, trimmed and cut the grass in the orchards, got straw put down as mulch on one of them (still have the second one to do) and did some grass cutting at the farm property (for clarification, the 8 acres with the house is the homestead and the other 40 acers is the farm, the orchards are at the farm location).  Thing this is probably a good stopping point for this entry!  Let me know any questions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chickens and Chicken Coop, May Leave post 2

OK at this point we needed to switch gears, so far we had lost 3 of our 50 chickens from what I understand that is not a terrible amount considering they were mail order, what we quickly evident is that the small starter brooder we made was not going to last long they were growing so fast, as we did not have coop yet and meant another intermediate brooder.  Part of the scrap wood that was left with the house when we bought it was 2 boards about 10 feet long and roughly 18 inches or so high.  The chicks very much seems to like all the extra space, and they seemed to thank us by increasing their rate of growth!  It was very quickly evident that we would need to come up with a normal coop very quickly. Out intermediate brooder when we first moved them! about 23 March The previous owners did have a small coup but it would not fit our needs at all, they only had a couple chickens (4-5) compared to our 50 (well 47 now).  Their coup also had an overabundance of nesting boxes but no r

Cattle

I have to admit this is the part of Homesteading I am most looking forward to but also the part that has me the most nervous.  I have wanted to do something with raising cattle since probably about 2000.  At that time we were in Texas and various car salesmen I worked with had acreage and a few head so it was enough to pique my interest.  Of course in Texas you did not have to worry about sub-0 temperatures when you thought about what kind of cattle to raise so when trying to put my plan together for Minnesota, well I did not have a lot of people I could turn to for advice so it has been a lot of research!  On of the reasons I want to raise cattle is to put it bluntly, I like beef, but I do not like paying almost $5 a pound for hamburger, especially when I am not even sure what I am getting anymore! From all the research I have done I have pretty much decided to primarily raise Galloway cattle.  Galloway's are a heritage breed originally from Scotland .  I decided on this breed f

April is Gonna Suck, Embrace the Suck!!

Well this week’s blog is more a personal update then the last few have been.  It is about 7 weeks until I start my terminal leave from the Army, I will leave the Army for home for the last time on Good Friday and get home right before Easter.  The timing is not lost on me that my next chapter will start in full on Easter.  We started doing our taxes today and part of that was figuring out how much we have already put into the farm, not including property or the truck we are over $35K in and that does not even count most of the livestock which we will not have  or purchase until this year.  That is buying mostly second-hand equipment folks and I still have some major pieces to buy, farming ain’t cheap. That being said, I am still confident this was the right move.  I ran into one of my former NCOs from when I was a detachment Sgt in Korea for lunch this week, he was one of three buck Sergeants I had, who basically made my job easy there (except they could not help me for the 2 AM p