Skip to main content

Rabbits?

This week I received a small surprise in the mail, a month or so ago as a part of my Mother Earth subscription I ordered a "Pack" of 6 additional one time publications but I had pretty much forgotten about it..  In reality I ordered them for the chicken based magazine and and the one about self reliance skills.  One of the additional magazine however was one in raising backyard rabbits.  Raising rabbits was really not something I had considered as everything I had seen previously with raising rabbits was raising them in individual cages which was something that goes against most of what I wanted to do with raising animals as the goal is to raise them as humanly as possible as close to a natural situation as I could.

Reading the publication how ever did open my eyes to something I had not realized before, one was how much protein one set of rabbits could generate in one year.  Where a cow can basically generate about 40% of her weight in a calf in a year a doe rabbit can produce up to 1000%  (500% is more realistic) of her weight in offspring in a year and is probably the most efficient conversion of vegetation to meat possible.  If you are looking at an animal to increase your ability to feed yourself in a bad economic situation rabbits would probably be the best option as far as live stock is concerned. On top of that rabbits have the ability to produce more meat quicker then even chickens with the ability to reproduce after about 90 to 120 days and a gestation period of only 30 days.   Rabbits are ready for harvesting at about 8-12 weeks of age and depending on the breed each rabbit will dress out at about 3-4 lbs. Basically from the time of birth one set of rabbits can  dress out about 20 lbs of rabbit in 6 months and repeat that every 45-60 days or so for up to 6 years.

I am sure most of you have heard the term breeds like a rabbit but I am not sure we really realize exact what that means!  As mentioned above rabbits are capible of breeding at 3-4 months of age and the time from breeding to birth is about 30 days.   The rabbit can be breed immediately following birth (not the best condition for the rabbit however).  Each litter averages between 6-12 kits, so if a doe has 6 litters of 9 kits, that means that one doe will produce up to 54 offspring a year.  That is a lot of bunnies off of one breeding pair!

Of course there is still the issue of raising them in elevated cages that I do not really care for, that was before I read about raising rabbits in a colony environment rather then in hutches or cages.  In raising as a colony the rabbits are raised in a larger area all together rather then separated.  The colony can be set up either indoors or outdoors, if set up outdoors you really have consider how to proof your colony from escape which can be difficult with burrowing rabbits!  If I would to do it, it would most likely be set up in an indoor building with a concrete floor and the deep litter method on handing waste similar to the chicken set up.

With the rabbits again very little would go to waste.  When we processed the rabbits the entrails wold be boiled and feed to the chickens and pigs and the hides would be tanned and stored for future use or sales.  The waste would be used a fertilizer, unlike chicken waste rabbit waste can be used directly on plants and do not need to be composted.

I am still not completely sold on the idea of rabbits however with everything else I am looking at doing.  If I do decide to go with rabbits it will not be until the fall of the year of my retirement rather then the spring time with everything else.  Reason being is with the way rabbits reproduce what I do not want is to have to come up with a lot of out of pocket costs for food while waiting for my crops to mature so I would not want to start that until I already knew I had a ready feed supply and would only have to worry about occasional supplemental pellet purchases.  Just another idea in my overflowing bin of ideas!!

The picture below is a breed called the Silver Fox, yes they are also a rare heritage breed, would you expect any different from me?  They grow to be about 10-12 lbs.  If anyone as any experience raising meat rabbits your input would be appreciated!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chickens and Chicken Coop, May Leave post 2

OK at this point we needed to switch gears, so far we had lost 3 of our 50 chickens from what I understand that is not a terrible amount considering they were mail order, what we quickly evident is that the small starter brooder we made was not going to last long they were growing so fast, as we did not have coop yet and meant another intermediate brooder.  Part of the scrap wood that was left with the house when we bought it was 2 boards about 10 feet long and roughly 18 inches or so high.  The chicks very much seems to like all the extra space, and they seemed to thank us by increasing their rate of growth!  It was very quickly evident that we would need to come up with a normal coop very quickly. Out intermediate brooder when we first moved them! about 23 March The previous owners did have a small coup but it would not fit our needs at all, they only had a couple chickens (4-5) compared to our 50 (well 47 now).  Their coup also had an overabundance of nesting boxes but no r

Cattle

I have to admit this is the part of Homesteading I am most looking forward to but also the part that has me the most nervous.  I have wanted to do something with raising cattle since probably about 2000.  At that time we were in Texas and various car salesmen I worked with had acreage and a few head so it was enough to pique my interest.  Of course in Texas you did not have to worry about sub-0 temperatures when you thought about what kind of cattle to raise so when trying to put my plan together for Minnesota, well I did not have a lot of people I could turn to for advice so it has been a lot of research!  On of the reasons I want to raise cattle is to put it bluntly, I like beef, but I do not like paying almost $5 a pound for hamburger, especially when I am not even sure what I am getting anymore! From all the research I have done I have pretty much decided to primarily raise Galloway cattle.  Galloway's are a heritage breed originally from Scotland .  I decided on this breed f

April is Gonna Suck, Embrace the Suck!!

Well this week’s blog is more a personal update then the last few have been.  It is about 7 weeks until I start my terminal leave from the Army, I will leave the Army for home for the last time on Good Friday and get home right before Easter.  The timing is not lost on me that my next chapter will start in full on Easter.  We started doing our taxes today and part of that was figuring out how much we have already put into the farm, not including property or the truck we are over $35K in and that does not even count most of the livestock which we will not have  or purchase until this year.  That is buying mostly second-hand equipment folks and I still have some major pieces to buy, farming ain’t cheap. That being said, I am still confident this was the right move.  I ran into one of my former NCOs from when I was a detachment Sgt in Korea for lunch this week, he was one of three buck Sergeants I had, who basically made my job easy there (except they could not help me for the 2 AM p