Skip to main content

We Have Kinders!!

We have Kinders!


A little more than two weeks ago I took off my Army uniform for the last time, loaded into a car and headed back to Mn for the last trip of my military career.   The ride home was an adventure in itself to say the least.  First, we stopped at the Double B Café in Beloit, Wisconsin, this is a small farm café, that is owned by Ms Barbara Beeler, whom we will be purchasing a cow/calf pair of belted Galloway from.  Since it was a Friday during lent Terri had an omelet and I had blue berry pancakes for a late lunch.  They were delicious!  We also tried their “duck butt” blue berry muffins, it is basically a blue berry muffin made with duck eggs.  I am starting to see what the big deal is about duck eggs in baking, they were delicious and very moist!  We also got to see Candy and Evie, our cow/calf pair.  Evie is a little fire ball! I cannot wait for them to get here!  After that, we headed about an hour and a half north east of there, to pick up three additional passengers, three 13-month-old Kinder Goats! Did I mention that we were traveling home in the Cadillac CTS and not the truck?

We picked up our new fur babies from Sue Beck at Prickler Patch Farms in Caledonia, WI.  Sue is the president of the Kinder Goat Breeders Association and was kind enough to be the go between me and a friend of hers who was parting with Curly, Classy and Maggie.  We loaded up the girls into the back of the caddy along with some hay and grain and started the last 600 miles home, by this time it is was about 4 PM (we had to time the pick up when Sue got home from work to get the girls!).  Of course, there was one potential problem, as we checked the weather, Northwest Mn, were we were heading was under a blizzard advisory, so now we were heading home with three goats in the car into snow storm!
The three girls in the back of the car, the smiling one is Curly.

So from that point on it was a race to get home before the storm, we made it to Minneapolis, about 4 hours from home with no issues and clear sky! About an hour later it hit, and hit hard, once it started we only made it about 30 more miles before it got so bad we could not see the road due to the blowing snow.  It was about 10 PM, we are stuck three hours from home with three goats in the car.  Now the goats can handle the weather ok, as long as they are dry and out of the wind, they had plenty of hay in the car so us staying at a hotel while they remained in the car should not have been an issue.  That being said, I could just imagine someone seeing the goats in the car, in the middle of a blizzard and calling the police or animal control for animal neglect or abuse.  Not gonna happen.  So, we pull into a Motel 8 and we convince them to let us bring the goats into the room as pets!  So, into the bathroom at the hotel they go!  Next morning, we were back into the car and made it home with no issues! Of course, when we got home, getting them out of the car was a little challenge, they decided they liked the caddy and when we did get them out, off they went to explore the area before we got them secure!  About 20 minutes later, everyone was settled in and we were able to finish unpacking!
Maggie

Curly

Classy

Three days later I was back on the road heading to southeastern Illinois to pick up three more Kinder girls!  These were from Kinder Korner Goats and Lisa Larose and Kelsee Gibbs!  I had been talking to Kelsee for almost 2 years about Kinder goats!  Kelsee and Lisa generously volunteered to meet me the evening prior to picking up the girls and after dinner (which they treated me to, thank you Lisa!!) they brought me with them to get 12 of their young (week old) goats to be debudded.  Debudded is when the goats budding horns are burned off at the roots keeping them from growing.  If horns where to remain they can be a huge safety issue to people when handling goats as well as they can injure each other and, in some cases, get them hung up in the fence.  We (Thebar1 Farms) will be debudding most of our goats however we will likely leave some with horns for specific customers who prefer unaltered animals.

The next morning, I picked up Pippa, a four-year-old pregnant doe who is due the first week in May, Scarlett a chunky 14 mouth old doe (I love her build) and Frita, a 3 month old doeling.  In addition, I also had volunteered to transport a bucking back to Mn for a fellow breeder to who Lisa donated him to.  This fellow breeder recently lost most of her bucks due to a barn fire, leaving here with a sole buck.  As goats are herd animals this left for a very sad and lonely buck as you can not really house bucks with does without souring the taste of the milk, not to mention unscheduled breeding’s so I am very happy I was able to help her with the transportation of her new baby boy.  This did of course lead to some challenges as the original plan was just to pile all of the goats in the back seat of the truck, well that was not really possible with the buck, my girls would have been miserable!  So, into the passenger seat went a large dog crate that could hold him.  It made for a slightly cramped ride home for me but he more then paid for his ride by his ample conversational skills for the trip!
Pippa

Scarlett

Frita

It was wonderful being able to spend some time with Lisa and Kelsee  as well as Sue and to be able to pick their brains for a little while about kinders and get to know them!  I cannot say enough great things about everyone I have met who has being involved with Kinders!  I will be getting three more babies from Lisa and Kelsee in June as well as three babies from Sue’s herd in that same time period.  I cannot wait!
Front:Scarlet and Frita, Middle: Maggie, Curly Classsy, Back: Pippa
Can you tell Pippa is expecting?

That first week was a very busy week, and it has not slowed down since but I am over joyed to have my kinder girls who are settling in nicely.  I am very excited to see Pippa’s baby (or babies) in a couple weeks!  This is a good point to end this entry I think I look forward to hearing from you with questions or comments!  I should be posting a follow up post in the next couple days about other farm/homestead happenings!  See you soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chickens and Chicken Coop, May Leave post 2

OK at this point we needed to switch gears, so far we had lost 3 of our 50 chickens from what I understand that is not a terrible amount considering they were mail order, what we quickly evident is that the small starter brooder we made was not going to last long they were growing so fast, as we did not have coop yet and meant another intermediate brooder.  Part of the scrap wood that was left with the house when we bought it was 2 boards about 10 feet long and roughly 18 inches or so high.  The chicks very much seems to like all the extra space, and they seemed to thank us by increasing their rate of growth!  It was very quickly evident that we would need to come up with a normal coop very quickly. Out intermediate brooder when we first moved them! about 23 March The previous owners did have a small coup but it would not fit our needs at all, they only had a couple chickens (4-5) compared to our 50 (well 47 now).  Their coup also had an overabundance of nesting boxes but no r

April is Gonna Suck, Embrace the Suck!!

Well this week’s blog is more a personal update then the last few have been.  It is about 7 weeks until I start my terminal leave from the Army, I will leave the Army for home for the last time on Good Friday and get home right before Easter.  The timing is not lost on me that my next chapter will start in full on Easter.  We started doing our taxes today and part of that was figuring out how much we have already put into the farm, not including property or the truck we are over $35K in and that does not even count most of the livestock which we will not have  or purchase until this year.  That is buying mostly second-hand equipment folks and I still have some major pieces to buy, farming ain’t cheap. That being said, I am still confident this was the right move.  I ran into one of my former NCOs from when I was a detachment Sgt in Korea for lunch this week, he was one of three buck Sergeants I had, who basically made my job easy there (except they could not help me for the 2 AM p

Cattle

I have to admit this is the part of Homesteading I am most looking forward to but also the part that has me the most nervous.  I have wanted to do something with raising cattle since probably about 2000.  At that time we were in Texas and various car salesmen I worked with had acreage and a few head so it was enough to pique my interest.  Of course in Texas you did not have to worry about sub-0 temperatures when you thought about what kind of cattle to raise so when trying to put my plan together for Minnesota, well I did not have a lot of people I could turn to for advice so it has been a lot of research!  On of the reasons I want to raise cattle is to put it bluntly, I like beef, but I do not like paying almost $5 a pound for hamburger, especially when I am not even sure what I am getting anymore! From all the research I have done I have pretty much decided to primarily raise Galloway cattle.  Galloway's are a heritage breed originally from Scotland .  I decided on this breed f