Skip to main content

House search!

Wow, been a busy couple of weeks.  We had a couple of decisions to make about the homestead.  While our main goal of building a house on our 40 acres has not changed we needed to decide if we do it right away after retirement when we feel we need to rush it or of we be patient and wait a bit.    The more we looked at what we needed to do the more we realized that it would be very difficult to do most of it before we actually retired and that would have basically cost us the first year of retirement and it would have been very difficult to get started on the aspects of the homestead I was most looking forward to, the livestock. 

At that point, after some feedback form the in-laws we decided to start looking for some properties with a house already on it that was relatively close to our property.  We soon found one about a mile from the property, it was a 3 bedroom, 1 bath with a great looking barn.  The house itself was pretty small but it did sit on 6 acres.  The issue, the house was ok, but the amount they wanted for the house was just so far out of reality to what we felt the property was worth.  The price was high enough we would need to take out a mortgage and we just were not willing to do that for that house.  It was by far the most convenient house but it was overpriced by about 70k!!

  We then looked at a second property, it was a little further away but had a bunch of great out buildings already including a great looking red barn!  The house was a two story house and pretty nice looking but I really did not like the kitchen on the second floor.  I also did not like the shape of the property, while it had decent acreage it was not really set up for efficient use and would have had a lot of wasted space.  The current owner had only had it one year and after looking at the purchase records it was priced close to what he paid for it, after he would have had to play closing cost I do not think there was more room for a deal and I was not willing to pay that price for a house again I was not in love with.  The garage was a couple hundred feet away from the house and I really want not looking forward to making that trek in the Minnesota Winter!

The third and last house we looked at was way more house then we needed, including the unfinished basement over 4,000 square feet!  But the land was almost perfect for what I was looking for.  It sat on a little more than 8 acers with multiple out building, including a heated workshop, a two horse barn (that will work well for a goat house, or large chicken coop), a small chicken coop, a 20X24 building that is currently being used for storage and a large equipment barn (that does leak!).  The property was already fenced off into a couple of large pastures, one of which included a small pond.  The house had a very awkward layout, but it did have a large spacious kitchen we were looking for.  We also preferred a main floor master bedroom and the master in this one was on the second floor.    It was also the only house with a full basement, one that would be perfect for my root cellar! Of all the houses we had looked at this one was the closest one to being priced appropriately.


When it was all said and done we decided to make an offer on the third house.  It was the most expensive of the three but it was the one closest to being “turnkey” for a homestead, when we retire I can pretty much go straight on homesteading while we continue to get the main property ready. After an offer and a couple counters we finally agreed on a price I think we were both happy with, or at least content with! This property is set up enough where we can keep the livestock on the 40 acers for spring through fall and move them to the homestead for the winter.   The main issue was this property is about 10 miles on un improved roads from the mail property.  On the flip side this house is on the state highway which will make trips to town much easier!  Here is an over head picture of the property.  The previous owners as a barral racing course on it in the north west corner.   Not sure what I will do with that area yet!  Well, one stop closer, should close in September!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chickens and Chicken Coop, May Leave post 2

OK at this point we needed to switch gears, so far we had lost 3 of our 50 chickens from what I understand that is not a terrible amount considering they were mail order, what we quickly evident is that the small starter brooder we made was not going to last long they were growing so fast, as we did not have coop yet and meant another intermediate brooder.  Part of the scrap wood that was left with the house when we bought it was 2 boards about 10 feet long and roughly 18 inches or so high.  The chicks very much seems to like all the extra space, and they seemed to thank us by increasing their rate of growth!  It was very quickly evident that we would need to come up with a normal coop very quickly. Out intermediate brooder when we first moved them! about 23 March The previous owners did have a small coup but it would not fit our needs at all, they only had a couple chickens (4-5) compared to our 50 (well 47 now).  Their coup also had an overabundance of nesting boxes but no r

April is Gonna Suck, Embrace the Suck!!

Well this week’s blog is more a personal update then the last few have been.  It is about 7 weeks until I start my terminal leave from the Army, I will leave the Army for home for the last time on Good Friday and get home right before Easter.  The timing is not lost on me that my next chapter will start in full on Easter.  We started doing our taxes today and part of that was figuring out how much we have already put into the farm, not including property or the truck we are over $35K in and that does not even count most of the livestock which we will not have  or purchase until this year.  That is buying mostly second-hand equipment folks and I still have some major pieces to buy, farming ain’t cheap. That being said, I am still confident this was the right move.  I ran into one of my former NCOs from when I was a detachment Sgt in Korea for lunch this week, he was one of three buck Sergeants I had, who basically made my job easy there (except they could not help me for the 2 AM p

Cattle

I have to admit this is the part of Homesteading I am most looking forward to but also the part that has me the most nervous.  I have wanted to do something with raising cattle since probably about 2000.  At that time we were in Texas and various car salesmen I worked with had acreage and a few head so it was enough to pique my interest.  Of course in Texas you did not have to worry about sub-0 temperatures when you thought about what kind of cattle to raise so when trying to put my plan together for Minnesota, well I did not have a lot of people I could turn to for advice so it has been a lot of research!  On of the reasons I want to raise cattle is to put it bluntly, I like beef, but I do not like paying almost $5 a pound for hamburger, especially when I am not even sure what I am getting anymore! From all the research I have done I have pretty much decided to primarily raise Galloway cattle.  Galloway's are a heritage breed originally from Scotland .  I decided on this breed f