Skip to main content

Barn

The Barn..

There is probably no part of the homestead that has taken as much of my time and thoughts as the barn, I have sketched numerous ideas, went back and forth over a prefabbed steel barn versus a Pole type barn went form one to two story to one again and if I wanted earthen floors or cement, finally I just had to sit down and figure out what exactly did I want this barn to accomplish? I came up with the following.

1.  Want a large central area where I can put machinery for storage, so need about a 12x12 sliding or swing type door on one end.
2, Want an area on the east side that will serve as the main chicken coop area, the nesting boxes will open into the main hall of the barn.
3.  Want another  area on the east side that will serve as a cold weather/farrowing area for the hogs, this area will be able to be spit into two pens.
4.  Want a area on the west side that will serve as a work area/Butcher area- Want a concrete floor in this area.
5.  A  foot area for non hay feed storage - Must have rodent proof flooring
6.  A storage area for Hay
7.  The barn must have large openings on the south and north sides in order to move Cattle though the barn and into the pasture area, this will also serve as the loading area for cattle to be moved to market. 
8.  Simple enough structure to be built by hand and by non-professionals for the most part

I searched through so many floor plans to find what I wanted and still could not find exactly what I was looking for, I found one close however I had concerns about the load bearing capabilities of the ceiling since it was designed in the south and did not really have to worry about snow load.  So I basically combined a few to meet what I was looking for, what I came up with is as follows..

The Barn will be a post barn type construction with a "main" barn section measuring 24X48 and being 16 feet from ground to the rafters.  The main area will have a earthen floor, the barn will be built on an elevation of about 18 inches of built up ground.  On the north and south ends of the barn we will have a 12x12 sliding door. 

On the west side of the barn will be a 12X48 foot "Shed" extension.  This shed will have a concrete flooring and will be split into two "halves" with the southern half being the work shed/Butcher area and the northern portion being the feed storage area.  The work shed area will have a standard door on both to the outside as well as to the interior of the barn.  The northern portion will have windows to the north and west and a double door that opens into the barn area.  The height of the shed will be from 10 feet to about 13.5 feet where it will connect to the main barn.

On the east side of the barn will be another 12X48 foot shed.  The southern 12X24 portion of the shed will be the chicken coop.  On the floor I will put chicken wire and on top of that will be 6 inches of dirt on top of it.  The coop will use the deep litter method of flooring with about 6 inches of additional wood shavings, the coop door will be about 18 inches off the ground with a ramp to let the chickens in.  There will also be a window on the southern side and two more along the eastern wall.  There will be a door in the wall with the barn to allow entry into the coop. As the floor will be elevated due to the wood shavings and built up earth steps will be needed to enter the coop. Nesting boxes will be built into the barn wall so they could be accessed without disturbing the chickens. 

The last portion of the shed will actually be two open stalls to the inside of the barn with side by side sliding doors that open into the pig area.  These stalls will be able to be used for either the pigs if the weather gets to bad or if needed to separate Cow Calf pairs so that the mother can be milked.  It will be a base 12X12 foot stalls that can be further narrowed if needed.

I played with the idea of a hay loft, really wanted one but was too difficult to ensure that the foundation was strong enough to account for both it and possible snow weight so I had decided to expand the foot print instead to give the extra room.  The whole barn concept was a challenge in trying to keep costs down and at the same time give me what I needed/Wanted.  Some hard choices had to be made such as not cementing the whole interior but with a 48X48 foot print plus having to make it strong enough to hold farm equipment that would have added a lot of cost.  As it is I am hoping to keep the cost below 20K with me providing most of the labor.

As of right now only the rooms with concrete will be insulated, the workshop will also have a wood burning stove installed.  I will have an electrician come in to install the lighting system that will be throughout the barn.  I am still working on the water system but more will come on that when we talk about the well. Please let me know your inputs and what I am sure I am forgetting!!!!!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chickens and Chicken Coop, May Leave post 2

OK at this point we needed to switch gears, so far we had lost 3 of our 50 chickens from what I understand that is not a terrible amount considering they were mail order, what we quickly evident is that the small starter brooder we made was not going to last long they were growing so fast, as we did not have coop yet and meant another intermediate brooder.  Part of the scrap wood that was left with the house when we bought it was 2 boards about 10 feet long and roughly 18 inches or so high.  The chicks very much seems to like all the extra space, and they seemed to thank us by increasing their rate of growth!  It was very quickly evident that we would need to come up with a normal coop very quickly. Out intermediate brooder when we first moved them! about 23 March The previous owners did have a small coup but it would not fit our needs at all, they only had a couple chickens (4-5) compared to our 50 (well 47 now).  Their coup also had an overabundance of nesting boxes but no r

April is Gonna Suck, Embrace the Suck!!

Well this week’s blog is more a personal update then the last few have been.  It is about 7 weeks until I start my terminal leave from the Army, I will leave the Army for home for the last time on Good Friday and get home right before Easter.  The timing is not lost on me that my next chapter will start in full on Easter.  We started doing our taxes today and part of that was figuring out how much we have already put into the farm, not including property or the truck we are over $35K in and that does not even count most of the livestock which we will not have  or purchase until this year.  That is buying mostly second-hand equipment folks and I still have some major pieces to buy, farming ain’t cheap. That being said, I am still confident this was the right move.  I ran into one of my former NCOs from when I was a detachment Sgt in Korea for lunch this week, he was one of three buck Sergeants I had, who basically made my job easy there (except they could not help me for the 2 AM p

Cattle

I have to admit this is the part of Homesteading I am most looking forward to but also the part that has me the most nervous.  I have wanted to do something with raising cattle since probably about 2000.  At that time we were in Texas and various car salesmen I worked with had acreage and a few head so it was enough to pique my interest.  Of course in Texas you did not have to worry about sub-0 temperatures when you thought about what kind of cattle to raise so when trying to put my plan together for Minnesota, well I did not have a lot of people I could turn to for advice so it has been a lot of research!  On of the reasons I want to raise cattle is to put it bluntly, I like beef, but I do not like paying almost $5 a pound for hamburger, especially when I am not even sure what I am getting anymore! From all the research I have done I have pretty much decided to primarily raise Galloway cattle.  Galloway's are a heritage breed originally from Scotland .  I decided on this breed f