Skip to main content

Goats?

I have gone back and forth on if I wanted goats or not, there were many pluses and a few minus I had to figure either a way around or a way to accept it, basically this is what I came up with.  On the plus side goats produce more milk then cattle for what the ingest, basically you get more output for less input.  Goats are also very forage friendly, in other words they will get most of their substance from foraging, in most cases they prefer it.  Goats also eat though underbrush and can help clear it, basically getting usage out of land that would not be used other wise for their substance.  Goats are another multipurpose animal both producing meat and dairy.  Unlike cattle goats also typically produce multiple births and the mature faster.  An a interesting side note which I did not realize until I started doing more research, goat milk also has kind of a niche market due to it being more tolerable to digest for those with stomach issues.

Now for the down sides or reasons to potentially not get them.  First off I am not a huge milk drinker that is more Terri, and how do I put it, Terri is not real big on trying new things so why worry about producing milk?  Well this one I over came pretty easily in that with Pigs and chickens there will never be wasted milk, add to that while I am not a huge milk drinker I do like my cheese and butter so yes it will be used and not wasted, it will actually help the chickens with additional calcium for egg production.  The next two issues were really the bigger ones for me, when you decide to go with Dairy animals you must commit to milking them daily meaning not only getting up to do it but moving them into the barn and going out to the field to get them for milking.  It is one of the reasons I decided against a dairy cow, just was not sure how I would be able to match my desire for rotational grazing with milking.  With the goats I will still have to make the time commitment but the goats will be closer to the barn and homestead and a smaller size to handle.  The last issue and to be honest the one I had the biggest issue was with the Billy goats.  From my research there is only one way to put this, Billy goats stink, bad.  So bad you can not even put them near the milking goats because the smell will actually transfer to the milk!  Of course to get milk from goats, you need baby goats and for baby goats you need a billy and I really did not want to have to set up a separate are for Mr Billy goat.  The answer was go with AI (Artificial Insemination), this made sense to me on most aspects, The cost of the AI is offset with not having to purchase the Billy or feed or set aside land for him. I may change my mind about this later with my desire to be self sufficient but for now this will do to get me started!

So with objections over come and the pluses outweighing the minuses the fun part begins, picking a breed.  So what did I want in a breed? I wanted a goat that would serve as a dual breed but for goats most could do that, I wanted a breed good in the cold, again most could do that without an issue, wanted one good for foraging, again almost all are good for that (what took me so long to decide on goats again???). Well considering I wanted cheese making and butter making (did I mention ice cream?)  I decided I wanted a goat that produced a high butter fat and milk solid content.  I also wanted something a little smaller so that they were easier to handle when it came milking time but I did not want to give up the milk quantity so the pygmy goats were out.  I also wanted one with a good history of multiple births.

What I came up with was the Kinder breed.  The Kinder is an American Breed that was first created by breeding  Nubian does with a Pygmy Buck.  The result was a mid-sided hardy goat that will produce about 1/2 gallon pf milk  a day at 5-7% butterfat, produce a carcass that results is a yield of over 60 percent dressing. Kinders can also be breed year round (unlike most other goats).  Kinder typically have a herd average of 300% reproduction rate basically meaning that mature animals will typically average 3 kids per birth.  Kinder goats at maturity will be about 26-28 inches high with a weight of about 120 lbs. for does and 150 lbs for bucks.




 When I purchase the goats I will probably start with 3 young recently breed does.  Goats are heard animals so just getting one is really not an option.   I will then refresh (re-breed) them at intervals to ensure we do not have a dry period.  I have not been able to find breeders in Mn, with the closest being in South-east Wisconsin.  With that in  mind I will probably get registered pure-breeds of good lineage so that I have to option to be the only registered breeder in Mn. and Dakota area.  No need to not have options!  As always I look forward to your comments or suggestions, really all I have is book knowledge and I can use some first hand experience knowledge!












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chickens and Chicken Coop, May Leave post 2

OK at this point we needed to switch gears, so far we had lost 3 of our 50 chickens from what I understand that is not a terrible amount considering they were mail order, what we quickly evident is that the small starter brooder we made was not going to last long they were growing so fast, as we did not have coop yet and meant another intermediate brooder.  Part of the scrap wood that was left with the house when we bought it was 2 boards about 10 feet long and roughly 18 inches or so high.  The chicks very much seems to like all the extra space, and they seemed to thank us by increasing their rate of growth!  It was very quickly evident that we would need to come up with a normal coop very quickly. Out intermediate brooder when we first moved them! about 23 March The previous owners did have a small coup but it would not fit our needs at all, they only had a couple chickens (4-5) compared to our 50 (well 47 now).  Their coup also had an overabundance of nesting boxes but no r

April is Gonna Suck, Embrace the Suck!!

Well this week’s blog is more a personal update then the last few have been.  It is about 7 weeks until I start my terminal leave from the Army, I will leave the Army for home for the last time on Good Friday and get home right before Easter.  The timing is not lost on me that my next chapter will start in full on Easter.  We started doing our taxes today and part of that was figuring out how much we have already put into the farm, not including property or the truck we are over $35K in and that does not even count most of the livestock which we will not have  or purchase until this year.  That is buying mostly second-hand equipment folks and I still have some major pieces to buy, farming ain’t cheap. That being said, I am still confident this was the right move.  I ran into one of my former NCOs from when I was a detachment Sgt in Korea for lunch this week, he was one of three buck Sergeants I had, who basically made my job easy there (except they could not help me for the 2 AM p

Cattle

I have to admit this is the part of Homesteading I am most looking forward to but also the part that has me the most nervous.  I have wanted to do something with raising cattle since probably about 2000.  At that time we were in Texas and various car salesmen I worked with had acreage and a few head so it was enough to pique my interest.  Of course in Texas you did not have to worry about sub-0 temperatures when you thought about what kind of cattle to raise so when trying to put my plan together for Minnesota, well I did not have a lot of people I could turn to for advice so it has been a lot of research!  On of the reasons I want to raise cattle is to put it bluntly, I like beef, but I do not like paying almost $5 a pound for hamburger, especially when I am not even sure what I am getting anymore! From all the research I have done I have pretty much decided to primarily raise Galloway cattle.  Galloway's are a heritage breed originally from Scotland .  I decided on this breed f